Installing the Xbox AVATARS App on Windows 10 Insider Preview
Last week I did a small feature on how the new Avatars App looks/works on the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Build 10074 in this case). However I forgot to mention that getting hold of the App is not as straight forward as you would think. For example it's only available in select Countries/Regions i.e. the US.
However I found a quick workaround that allowed me to download the App so I thought this may be useful to others.....
1. On Windows 10 Insider Preview (Build 10074 in this example) Click the Start button and go to Settings.
2. Next select 'Time & Language'.
3. Then choose 'Region & Language'.
4. Change the 'Country or region' - by clicking on the dropdown box - to United States.
5. Then under the Languages header, click '+ Add a Language' & Then select English > English (United States).
6. Once Added select the new Language file i.e. English (United States) and click on 'Set as default'.
7. Now minimise the Settings Window and then go to the Windows Store and do a search for 'Avatars'.
8. You should then be able to Download/Install the App.
9. Once installed you can click on the Start button and see the Avatars App placed under the 'Recently Added' section.
10. However before we forget go back to your Settings Window and open it. Now click on the original Laungauge file (in this case English United Kingdom) and set it back to the default.
11. Once this is done select the English (United States) Language pack and choose 'Remove'.
12. Now that the Language pack is removed click on the 'Country or region' dropdown box and put this back to your default Language.
13. Now close the Settings Window and then click the Start button to launch/use the Avatars App.
Note: Remember this is a Windows 10 Insider Preview version so changing the Region or installing the App may have adverse effects on your computer!
For example while the App is good I have found that it has a tendency to open by itself at random times! :-)